The Oliver & District Heritage Society is seeking a qualified museum professional to fill the new role of Curator at our local history museum in Oliver, BC. Please see attached job posting for more information.
Full Time (35 hrs/wk)
Salary: $36,400-$40,770 annually (contingent upon experience) plus allowance in lieu of benefits
Start Date: Feb 2019
Deadline for application: January 10, 2019
The Oliver and District Heritage Society (www.oliverheritage.ca) operates a Museum and Archives in Oliver BC, a rural town in the South Okanagan valley known for its unique climate and agriculture production – primarily fruit and wine. Nearby communities include Osoyoos, Penticton, Okanagan Falls, and Kaleden. Our collection deals primarily with items from Oliver and RDOS District area C.
Primary duties: The successful candidate will, under the direction of the Executive Director,
- maintain both the artifact and archival collections (including all aspects of record keeping),
- assist in the development, planning, and delivery of programs and community engagement undertake research related to collections,
- establish and maintain community partnerships
- monitor and maintain storage environments,
- prepare, install, and maintain exhibitions/displays
- develop and manage collection, program, and special project budgets
- maintain built heritage assets, develop and implement plans for long term preservation
- supervise summer students, interns, volunteers, and contract staff
- provide regular reports to Board of Directors
Other job duties may include, but are not limited to: policy development and implementation, providing museum and archival services to the public, leading programs on and off site, responding to research requests, grant proposal writing, program development, representing the Society at public functions, marketing and promotion (including social media, generating newsletters, preparing posters, etc.), gift shop inventory and sales, maintaining membership program, building maintenance and housekeeping as needed, administrative support, board and/or committee support, front-of-house duties.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have completed a post-secondary degree, and have had experience working in the heritage sector. They will exhibit strong organizational and social skills, responsibility and reliability, attention to detail, a positive attitude, adaptability, and a willingness to learn. They must have strong computer literacy skills, strong interpersonal skills, and exceptional written and oral communication skills. Experience with PastPerfect collections software is an asset.
Application deadline: January 10 at 11pm. Please submit resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Mail applications will not be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Oliver and District Heritage Society Museum and Archives
www.oliverheritage.ca l 250.498.4027 l 430 Fairview Rd, Oliver BC