Fraser River Discovery Centre
PART-TIME ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT JOB POSTING
The Fraser River Discovery Centre (FRDC), in New Westminster BC, is an interpretive centre and not-for-profit organization that presents stories of the living, working Fraser River and their contributions to the life, history, and future of British Columbia. Through exhibits, education programs, and special events. The Centre is currently seeking for a permanent, part-time Administrative Assistant to join our small, dynamic team of staff, contractors, and volunteers.
Reporting to the Director of Operations through the Operations Manager, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for visitor reception and day to day operations of the Fraser River Discovery Centre; assisting in the planning and execution of special events and facility rentals; assist with front desk and gift shop operations; provide administrative support to the Operations Manager and staff as required and maintaining the safety and security of FRDC’s information, exhibits and facility.
- Providing essential front desk coverage including opening and closing procedures; greeting and answering visitor inquiries; managing phone lines and voicemail; recording visitor statistics; maintaining membership database; processing cash register sales; and ensuring reception area is presentable and welcoming
- Assist with gift shop operations including inventory, care and maintenance of items; research new vendors and consignors; and fun and creative display ideas to promote the Discovery Shop
- Assist with FRDC’s general communication and event promotion (posting on online event calendars and social media apps)
- Assist with program and exhibit preliminary research
- Assist with setup, take-down and general operations of events, facility rentals and/or meetings
- Report all building maintenance, incidents and/or security to the Operations Manager
- Maintain the confidentiality, safety, security of the FRDC’s information, exhibits and facility for all staff, volunteers and visitors
- Maintain FRDC’s high standard of customer service at all times
- Provide extra support on an on-call basis for facility rentals, special events and staff coverage
- Perform other related duties as required
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Minimum 1-2 year office administration/reception experience, cash handling and retail procedures
- Proven skills in customer service and interacting with a diverse range of audiences (schoolchildren, families, seniors, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong abilities in time management, attention to detail, organization, problem solving with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and adapt easily to shifting and/or conflicting deadlines or schedules
- Excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and other computer skills (including social media apps)
- Proven experience working effectively independently and as a part of a team
- Language of work: English. Second language an asset
- Must be able to lift up to 40lbs
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License is desirable
- Current standard First Aid (or equivalent) an asset
- A Serving It Right Certificate an asset
- Criminal record clearance required
- 20 hours/week; usually Wednesday to Saturday, exact schedule to be determined
- Must also be flexible to cover rentals, weekends, holidays and/or evening shifts
RATE: $16.00/ hr plus 4% in lieu of vacation
START DATE: ASAP
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 20, 2019
To apply, please email résumé and cover letter in confidence to:
Human Resources Committee
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Human Resources Committee
w: fraserriverdiscovery.org | a: 788 Quayside Drive, New Westminster, BC V3M 6Z6
Want to know what`s happening at the FRDC? Subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter.
Save a tree. Don’t hit print.