Special Event Coordinator – Job Description
The Gulf of Georgia Cannery, built in 1894 in the historic village of Steveston, is a living monument to the individuals involved in BC’s fishing industry. The site is operated by the Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society, a non-profit society and registered charity. Working in partnership with Parks Canada, the Society works to preserve the history of the BC fishing industry.
Under the supervision of the Manager of Audience Engagement, the Special Event Coordinator is responsible for producing and coordinating special events held at the Gulf of Georgia Cannery.
- Lead all aspects of event production at the Gulf of Georgia Cannery, including on-site delivery of seasonal special events, community festivals and partnership events.
- Manage all aspects of the winter Cannery Farmers’ Market including, but not limited to, vendor, busker and community partner recruitment and scheduling, volunteer scheduling, communications and marketing, recordkeeping, budget management and reporting.
- Seek out and develop partnerships and community connections related to special events, community festivals, and partner-led events.
- Book all performers, groups, and participants for all events.
- Train, supervise, and coordinate all event personnel – staff and volunteers.
- Prepare and manage all event administrative documents including event plans, budgets, evaluations and reports. Participate in annual and strategic planning.
- Work with the Marketing and Visitor Services Manager to develop event promotion and assist with the promotion of events through social media and elsewhere.
- Maintain equipment and supplies related to event and program delivery.
- Assist with event related sponsorships and grant applications.
- Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to schedule and supervise volunteers.
- Effectively communicate all relevant event information to other departments by attending visitor services and staff meetings and preparing written event plans.
- Maintain inventory and proper storage of event related equipment.
- Other duties as required.
- You are passionate about creating and delivering quality community events
- You have outstanding relationship building and communication skills
- You analyze participant feedback and can articulate strategic recommendations
- You efficiently multitask and effectively solve problems
- You can work independently and possess an entrepreneurial mindset
- You are highly adaptable and able to make quick, intelligent decisions based on new information
- You work effectively in teams as both a leader and a participant
- You act with uncompromising honesty, integrity and ethics
- You energize others – lead by example, recognize contributions and celebrate accomplishments
- You search for opportunities and are willing experiment and take risks
Required Skills and Experience:
- University degree in Event Planning or Performance Production, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Experience in production management or event planning, preferably in a non-profit context
- Knowledge of event industry standards, AV, power, logistics, performer and exhibitor management and contract negotiation
- Experience working with performers, vendors, community groups and exhibitors required
- Experience working with the public and children required
- Experience working with volunteers required
- Exceptional record keeping and communication skills
- Proven success record in leadership and managing people
- Fluent in English. French language is an asset
- Visually creative with knowledge of design software an asset
- Experience with social media is an asset
- Access to reliable vehicle required
Hours: 5 days (40 hours) per week typically Monday to Friday, but the Event Coordinator is required to attend events so schedule will include some evenings and weekends as required.
- Salary range $43,000-47,000
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Ongoing professional and personal development
Please send resume and cover letter to Shannon King, Manager of Audience Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 28, 2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.