The Nanaimo Museum is located in downtown Nanaimo on the traditional territory of the Snuneymuxw First Nation. We offer diverse programming to over 60,000 visitors every year at both the museum and the historic Bastion. We are looking for a passionate and dynamic person to join our team as a Programming and Outreach Assistant. Reporting to the Program Coordinator you will:
- Assist in implementing museum programming and events to be offered to all ages.
- Lead a variety of educational programs for children. Programs may be for schools, groups, day camps, and other courses.
- Lead activities for special events.
- Travel to schools, festivals and other locations to lead outreach programs for all ages.
- Assist in program research and development.
- Lead historical tours both in the museum and the Bastion, or in other locations around Nanaimo as required.
- Support summer programming including cannon firing program.
- Act as museum representative for various rental clients prior to and during events as needed.
- Work at front desk as the visitor services representative and to support retail as needed.
- Support overall museum operations as required.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience and comfort with speaking in front of diverse groups of people and to present programming in an engaging manner.
- Experience leading activities for children
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills – as a team member and with public of all ages.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with computer software including MS Office including PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of BC Indigenous and settler history.
- Ability to speak a second language considered an asset.
- Experience working with volunteers an asset.
- Experience with cash handling an asset.
- Ability and willingness to obtain a Serving it Right certificate.
- Basic First Aid an asset.
- Hire is dependent on a satisfactory RCMP Vulnerable Sector check.
- Valid BC drivers licence and access to a vehicle is required.
- This is a permanent part time position. Minimum 16 hours per week, up to 30 hours per week at peak times of the year.
- Must be available to work on weekdays, evenings, weekends, and holidays as required.
- Hours of work will vary depending on the scheduling and booking of programs.
- Wage: $15 – $17/hour
How to apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to:
Steph Kveton, Program Coordinator
Posting closes end of day on September 6th. We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.