PoCo Heritage Museum and Archives
Operated by The Port Coquitlam Heritage and Cultural Society
Position: Program Assistant, Education
The Port Coquitlam Heritage and Cultural Society is a volunteer-driven non-profit organization that operates Port Coquitlam’s only museum and archives and is dedicated to celebrating and preserving Port Coquitlam’s diverse heritage and culture.
We are seeking two Program Assistants to join our team this summer!
Working under the direction of the Museum Coordinator, the Program Assistants will be responsible for:
- Development and delivery of exhibit-related educational programs, public programs, group tours and events.
- Conducting research as needed for community research requests, collection records, and educational programs.
- Marketing programs and events which includes social media management and producing graphic design material.
- Assisting with artifact and archival cataloguing
including; writing condition reports, photographing artifacts, digitizing photographs and records, and updating the museums’ collection database.
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergrad student or recent graduate in a relevant discipline (e.g. Museum Studies, History, Education, Indigenous Studies)
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- High level of computer literacy including spreadsheets, databases, and word processing (Microsoft Office)
- Excellent English oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong research and critical thinking skills
- Able to work independently and in a collaborative environment
- Reliable and punctual
- Able to lift and carry boxes and supplies up to 20 lbs, and able to climb ladders and reach overhead
- Experience working in Education, Museums or other related heritage spaces
- Events and/or programming experience
You will be eligible to apply if you:
- Are between 18 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- Are a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada
- Can provide a satisfactory police record check prior to hiring
The position adjustments required by Covid-19 are pending approval.
The position is a full time, 16-week position starting July 13th, 2020 to October 30th, 2020. Hours are 30 hours per week, currently Monday to Friday at the rate of $16 per hour plus 4% in lieu of vacation pay.
This position will primarily take place at the PoCo Heritage Museum and Archives located in Port Coquitlam, BC. Covid-19 rules and regulations are required to be followed.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Kanchan Lal, Museum Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight June 15th, 2020
Subject Line: CSJ Posting – Program Assistant, Education
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.