Employment Opportunity – Curatorial Job Posting
Application Closes: August 23, 2020
The Cumberland Museum & Archives is looking for a creative individual to join our team in the position of Museum Curator.
About the Cumberland Museum & Archives
The Cumberland Museum and Archives on Vancouver Island tells the story of the people of Cumberland—the rich, the poor, the powerful, the rebellious, the righteous and the radical. In 2019 the CMA received a Governor General’s History Award for Excellence in Community Programming for the reenactment of Albert ‘Ginger’ Goodwin’s funeral process. The CMA is a valued space for community connection, experience and reflection on our past.
The current permanent exhibitions focus on the industrial history of coal mining and logging as well as early settler business while addressing the social, political and racial challenges the people of the Village of Cumberland experience
The artefact collection and archival holding comprise over 8,000 items and are housed onsite. The CMA also offers opportunities for research through our community research library, making the CMA a unique space for historical research on early rural Comox Valley settlements with a special focus on Chinese and Japanese communities of the past. The CMA has undertaken a number of unique projects to retain and create accessibility to artefacts and historical records for research purposes and exhibitions.
About the Curatorial Position
The role of Museum Curator at the Cumberland Museum & Archives is a combined role responsible for exhibit development and collections management. Reporting to the Executive Director and working collaboratively with team members this position plays a key role in the management and success of the museum. This position will provide an opportunity for undertaking diverse responsibilities and professional development.
- Collections care and preservation of physical artifacts and archival materials including; the assessment of donations, classification and cataloging, housing and preservation.
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures related to collections management
- The development of exhibitions including: initial proposals, budgeting, research, design, fabrication, installation, interpretive public programs and marketing materials.
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures related to exhibitions and collections management
- Work in collaboration with the Museum Director to establish a strategic plan for the curation of exhibits and collection management projects
- Aid other staff members in welcoming visitors and creating meaningful relationships with community members.
- Delivery of museum tours or presentations at public programming events, or for promotion.
- General building maintenance duties
Knowledge and Competencies::
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in museum studies, archeology, anthropology, history or related field.
- Minimum of 2 years experience working/volunteering in a museum, gallery or archival setting
- Understand the foundations of design and layout composition.
- Skilled in the use of Adobe programs for design: Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign etc.
- Be knowledgeable with open access database systems, microsoft access, Access to Memory and museum classification best practices including nomenclature and Rules for Archival Description.
- Strong understanding of museum and archival best practices.
- Strong oral and written communication coupled with strong interpersonal, and collaboration skills
- Critical thinking and innovative problem solving skills with a high level of self motivation.
- Able to lift and carry boxes and supplies up to 25lbs
- Valid driver’s license with access to a car
This position will begin at 80% full-time comprising 30 hours per week over 4 days with some weekend work. An annual remuneration between $34,000 – $37,000 will be offered depending on experience.
Application deadline: August 23, 2020
Please submit your resume by email to: email@example.com
Only successful applicants will be contacted. Please do not call. The CMA is an equal opportunity employer.