Job Posting – Archives Intern
c, 470 Queensway Ave, Kelowna, BC, V1Y 6S7
The Archives Intern is actively involved in assisting the institution in upholding professional standards in the management and preservation of its archival holdings. The intern’s primary duty is processing (researching, appraising, selecting, arranging and describing) archival materials held in the Kelowna Public Archives. The Archives Intern also helps preserve the archival collection through proper care and handling and by practicing preventative conservation. The intern is also actively involved in adding to the oral history program through conducting oral history interviews and recording transcriptions. The Archives Intern will work in the Kelowna Public Archives, located on the ground floor of the Okanagan Heritage Museum.
– Process archival materials and apply the Rules of Archival Description
– Add and update digital records in the InMagic database
– Assess storage needs and optimize storage space
– Provide proper storage enclosures for archival collections
– Perform basic conservation treatments on archival collections
– Conduct oral history interviews
– Assist researchers with inquiries
The intern must have successfully completed post-secondary school training in a recognized archival studies training program.
– Standard internship eligibility requirements (Young Canada Works – Building Careers in Heritage)
– Self-motivated and detail oriented
– Exceptional research and computer skills
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills
– Highly organized
– Sensitive to the requirements for handling archival materials and artefacts.
– Satisfactory criminal record check
Pay scale: $18.75/hr plus 13% in lieu of benefits
Duration: Full time (35 hrs/week for 6 months) Start date of mid-Sept or Oct 1, 2020
Please apply by sending resume and cover letter to email@example.com by August 30, 2020. Please save files with your full name.