Job Title: Archives Assistant (YCW-BCH) Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Contract, Full-Time (37.5 hrs per week)
Contract Dates: November 23, 2020 to March 26, 2021
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00am-4:30pm (shifts may be required outside these hours)
Closing Date: November 6, 2020 at 4:00pm
At the Chilliwack Museum and Archives, it is our goal to connect the community with Chilliwack’s history. The Archives Assistant will be a vital part of fulfilling that goal. This position will work primarily in our archives’ location, providing support services to the Archivist in regards to assisting with reducing archival backlog, covering the reference desk and assisting with research inquiries, and assisting with facilitating photographic reproduction and copying orders.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Assists with archival processing, digitization, and description of archival collections
- Welcomes, signs-in, and orients visitors to the
- Assist visitors in accessioning archival holdings and reference materials
- Assists with digitization for photographic reproduction and copying services
- Assists with telephone and email research facilities
- A Bachelor of Arts in History, Museum Studies, Archives and Manuscripts, Library and Information Technology, Public History, Cultural Resource Management, or a related discipline is required.
- Basic knowledge of Chilliwack and working understanding of British Columbia and Canadian history is
- A basic understanding of museum theory and archival practices would be considered an
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills are
- Basic computer proficiency and willingness to learn new programs. Familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite, in particular Adobe Photoshop, Audition and InDesign, is an
- A Passion for arts, culture, community, and heritage!
- Candidate must be able to provide a clean criminal record
The Candidate must fulfill the eligibility criteria as outlined by Young Canada Works, including:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non- Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- are between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
- are unemployed or underemployed;
- are a college or university graduate;
- are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program; and
- have not previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy.
The Chilliwack Museum and Archives is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are invited to apply by submitting their cover letter and resume to:
Shawna Maurice Executive Director
Chilliwack Museum & Archives email@example.com
We look forward to reviewing all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is supported by YCW Grant Funding.
For more information about Chilliwack and the Chilliwack Museum and Archives, please visit: www.chilliwackmuseum.ca