City of Surrey – Community Services Coordinator 1 (Surrey Nature Centre)
The Surrey Nature Centre (operated by the City of Surrey’s Urban Forestry section) offers nature-based programs and events for schools and the public with the goal of fostering appreciation and understanding of Surrey’s urban forest.
As part of our efforts to build capacity within our community to care for nature, we are looking for an innovative and collaborative individual to be our next Surrey Nature Centre Programs Coordinator. This full-time position is based on a 35-hour work week and includes evenings and weekends; starting salary is $31.59/hr.
Union – CUPE Local 402 – Regular Full-Time.
As the Surrey Nature Centre Programs Coordinator you will:
- Assist with hiring, training, and supervising staff.
- Plan and oversee interpretive and nature programming for formal and informal groups (e.g. monthly nature walks, nature birthday parties, and the Surrey Nature Centre drop-in space).
- Supervise and support Front Counter staff and operations – including cash handling and facility bookings.
- Oversee volunteer coordination, including program and event volunteers.
- Supervise and support Nature Preschool staff.
- Organize and host on-site events.
You, as our ideal candidate, are a positive team player who can facilitate conversations with diverse groups, and bring ideas to life that meet the needs of the community.
You are organized, detail-oriented, and a great communicator. You know the local flora and fauna, and have the ability to develop and evaluate interpretive nature programs for a variety of groups.
As our ideal candidate, you will also have experience and a strong foundation in the principles and practices of environmental education and interpretation. You must also have:
- Graduated from a recognized university or college level program in a related discipline, and
- A minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible experience in the delivery of environmental education and/or interpretation including supervision.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a Police Information Check/Vulnerable Sector Check
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca