Communications Coordinator: Contract opportunity
The Aboriginal Genealogy Network is a volunteer-based not-for-profit working cooperatively and sharing family trees and research with individuals who have aboriginal, First Nations, Inuit, and Métis ancestors. There are no paid staff; we rely on short-term and part-time contractors to assist the Association in meeting our goals.
Successful candidate will have contacts and experience working with Indigenous people and Elders
- Establish and maintain contact with members, volunteers, and the public
- Complete needs survey of members and contacts
- Regular use of Telephone and print distribution in response to requests
- Routine use of social media, email, facebook, Zoom and SharePoint
- Liaison with Steering Committee to report results, review progress, schedule priorities and receive guidance
MANAGEMENT of information, folders and data
- Meetings, on zoom and in-person following covid-19 protocols
- Basic financial reporting
- Research sources of funding and apply for grants
ORGANIZATION of systems and routines: SharePoint application
- consistent, straight forward, and easy-to-manage routines
- forms and templates to be used by volunteers with various skill levels
- Contractor will develop a realistic Work Plan and efficient time management
REQUIREMENTS maturity and previous contract experience, preferably with a not-for-profit
- Positive approach with some flexibility: ‘get it done’ attitude
- experience with project management; work independently while also supporting the team
- confident using various social media applications
- able to set up and maintain efficient and accurate routines
- ability to multitask, simultaneously managing multiple projects with different deadlines
- Open to learning; willing to ask for and accept guidance
- Computer skills including word processing, data management, presentations: we are transitioning to MS Office 365 and Sharepoint
TERMS Contractor to provide computer equipment and work at home. Software and routine office supplies can be provided or costs reimbursed.
Schedule; 2 to 3 days per week (18 to 20 hours) Initial engagement of 16 weeks – Contract will be extended if funds are available.
Contract Fee: total contract $6,000 over 4 months. Invoiced up to $1,500 monthly
Out-of-pocket expenses for travel, supplies, food should be confirmed in advance.
Apply by March 22: with resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line: Contract opportunity. Include summary of relevant experience and references.
All volunteers and contractors agree to the following CODE OF CONDUCT
- Communicate clearly and honestly: All contractors and volunteers must be respectful with one another, consult elders to understand traditional protocols and ask for help or guidance when needed.
- Initiate problem solving: speak first to the person(s) involved, seek positive solutions; bring concerns and unresolved issues to the attention of the Steering Committee. Gossip is not tolerated.
- Confidentiality – keeping information private; including personal details about anyone who you come in contact with through this contract. Confidentiality is important for building and maintaining trust, and for ensuring open and honest relationships.
- Informed Consent ensures protection of privacy and appropriate use of personal information