The Vancouver Police Museum & Archives is seeking an enthusiastic, motivated and personable individual as a Marketing and Communications Assistant.
Employment term: June 10 – August 29, 2021 (12 weeks)
Work schedule: Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun. 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (also occasional alternate days or evenings)
Remuneration: $15.50 hourly + 4% Vacation pay
Who We Are
The Vancouver Police Museum & Archives (VPMA) delivers a unique perspective on the history of law and law enforcement within the context of the City’s growth and development. The VPMA is located in the heart of historic Vancouver and is housed in the heritage building that was once home to the City’s Coroner’s Court, Morgue, and City Analyst’s Laboratory. The VPMA is a stand-alone, non-profit institution that relies solely upon admissions, membership, donations, and grants to support its operations.
Vancouver Police Museum & Archives strives to:
● Create an intrigue into the history of the City of Vancouver and its relationship to local law enforcement, criminal investigation, and forensic sciences.
● Provide a unique educational opportunity for people to experience the history, tactics, and challenges of the Vancouver Police Department both past and present.
● Engage visitors in exploring topics of law enforcement, criminal investigation and forensic sciences from an informed and rounded perspective.
● Be a safe place for open dialogue on controversial topics surrounding law enforcement and crime as it relates to the City of Vancouver.
The Marketing and Communications Assistant will work directly with staff to enhance the museum experience for visitors and will look after the museum’s communication and marketing needs, communicating the vision, mission, and mandate of the museum to targeted diverse audiences. It will be the candidate’s responsibility to deliver exceptional visitor service and be involved with promoting museum activities and events to the general public. The ideal candidate for this position will be interested in a career in museum administration, communications, public engagement, marketing, and events management and be enthusiastic about museums, local history and heritage sites. Museum Studies, Marketing & Design, Business, History, Art History, English or Criminology students
would be best suited for the position.
● Knowledge of office procedures and demonstrated administrative skills
● Advanced computer skills, including MS Office, Windows, Google Drive, spreadsheets, POS systems
● Working knowledge of Adobe design software, social media platforms and website management (knowledge of analytics a plus)
● Ability to learn new technologies, programs and procedures quickly and retain information
● Current knowledge and experience working with social media
● Ability to work as part of a team and independently
● Self-motivated and able to problem solve independently
● Excellent time management skills with the ability to manage workflows and deadlines
● Experience with retail sales and advanced customer service skills
● Friendly disposition with experience with dealing with the public
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
● Strong research and writing skills
To be eligible for a YCW in Heritage Organizations position job candidates must be:
● A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have official refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
● Legally entitled to work in Canada;
● Between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
● Be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
● Will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
● Attending college or university full-time and returning to study in the fall.
The VPMA is committed to building and maintaining an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of the audiences we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including from racialized persons/persons of colour, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Should you require accommodation during the application or hiring process, please be in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may meet your needs.
To ensure Young Canada Works (YCW) eligibility, all applicants must register online at:
For more information about the VPMA please visit our website at www.vancouverpolicemuseum.ca
How to apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF via email with the subject Marketing & Communications Assistant Application to email@example.com.
Attn: Diane Panozzo, Museum Director
Vancouver Police Museum & Archives
240 East Cordova Street, Vancouver, B.C. V6A 1L3
Deadline for Application: Wednesday May 12, 2021 @ 5 pm EDT.
Please note that this position is subject to funding approval from Young Canada Works