Summer Employment Opportunity Position: Archivist Assistant
The Mission District Historical Society is seeking a temporary Archivist Assistant for the Mission Community Archives. The Archivist Assistant will help develop online resources and virtual programming to promote the use of Archives; help with the Archives COVID-19 documentation project; and perform associated archival tasks, including catalogue and digitize records, data entry, and preventative conservation measures. The Archivist Assistant will also assist with the development of the Archives Disaster Preparedness & Emergency Plan.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Processing archival records, including: cataloguing and physically rehousing materials, preparing finding aids to allow in-person and online access, and digitizing and uploading content to the Archives Online Digital Repository
• Helping with LIFE at TWO METRES – a special project to collect digital and/or hard-copy materials from members of the community about their first-hand experiences during the pandemic.
• Assisting the Archivist with the Disaster Preparedness & Emergency Plan by developing maintenance and monitoring practices, including: emergency resource lists and criteria for collection priority.
• Planning, researching, and developing resources for virtual programs, including online exhibits.
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Possess excellent interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to organize information and prioritize tasks and projects
• Self-motivated and able to work well independently as well as with others
• Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite
• Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite an asset
• Must be aged 15 to 30 years to apply;
• Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act 2;
• Must be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations;
• Must pass a criminal record background check.
Terms of Employment:
• 30 hours per week for 10 weeks, beginning June 1 through August 6, 2021; part time work negotiable.
• Regular Hours: Tuesday-Friday; 9:00am-4:30pm.
• This position is subject to the receipt of funding through the Canada Summer Jobs Grant program.
• Rate of Pay: $17.00 per hour.
Applications: Please submit resume with 2 references and cover letter by Friday, May 21st to Val Billesberger, Archivist, in person by appointment (604-820-2621) or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Thank you to all applicants, however, only those short-listed for an interview will be contacted.