Tumbler Ridge UNESCO Global Geopark is a single, unified geographical area where sites and landscapes of international geological significance are managed with a holistic concept of protection, education and sustainable development.
Discovery Guides are student educators who facilitate family learning engagement in the Geopark’s mobile Geo-Interpretive Centre travels the region and features conservation, cultural, geological, and paleontological exhibits. They will also perform other duties related to Visitor Information Counselling.
Discovery Guides may also have opportunities to participate in Geopark initiatives such as scientific research, tourism development, website and social media content production, and UNESCO youth committees. Our guides may take on special projects related to their interests or studies, so long as they align with the Geopark’s and UNESCO’s values and are within the resources available.
- Facilitate visitors’ learning by describing, modelling, and promoting engagement with the Mobile Geo-Interpretive Centre exhibits on geology, culture, and conservation.
- Prepare exhibits, as assigned, for opening the mobile Geo-Interpretive Centre to visitors and also reset them in the evenings for the next day.
- Demonstrate flexibility by working special events and rentals outside of normal work hours.
- Travel and facilitate programs in communities surrounding Tumbler Ridge.
- Discovery Guides must be comfortable working in an environment that is at times noisy and crowded. Discovery Guides are needed during all hours that the Visitor Information Centre is open to the public, which includes weekends and holidays.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Strong interest in education, conservation, science, humanities, and culture
- Strong communication skills (communicate with both adults and children in a manner appropriate for their age)
- Dedicated and responsible, strong initiative
- Positive and energetic attitude
- Patience, dedication, and reliability
- Ability to travel (valid driver’s licence is a requirement)
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Good writing and research skills are an asset
- Social media experience an asset
- Experience and ability with difficult terrain and interest in hiking/ the outdoors is an asset
Application Deadline: June 15, 2021.
Apply by sending cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Contract length: 2 months
Expected Start Date: 17/06/2021
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Compensation: $17.50-$19.00 per hour depending on experience