Job ID: 2021-0142
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. Should you be contacted and require some form of accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will endeavour to meet your needs to the best of our ability. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No telephone inquiries, please. This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada. www.richmond.ca/employment 6704319
The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community. The City of Richmond offers competitive pay programs, comprehensive benefits and attractive incentives. If you are looking to make a difference, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada”, then please apply.
The City of Richmond invites applicants for enthusiastic, self-motivated individuals who are passionate about sharing local history with visitors, and are excited to join a team of vibrant heritage interpreters and volunteer heritage ambassadors. If you have exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, and will help our visitors connect with the cultural and natural heritage of the Steveston community, we encourage you to apply today. Some of the sites include Britannia Shipyards National Historic Site, London Heritage Farm, Steveston Museum and the Steveston Tram.
Examples of key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Interpreting a period of west coast maritime history to the visiting public while in costume, using a variety of methods such as: tours, historical demonstrations and engaging visitors with one on one conversations
- Assist with high volume special events
- Ensuring safety and security of heritage buildings.
- Ensuring public safety at all times.
- Cash handling, balancing and reporting.
- Performing a variety of clerical, typing/word processing and receptionist activities.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Possess an outgoing and friendly personality and be willing to engage with public.
- Ability to interact with groups of individuals of all ages.
- Ability to be knowledgeable, personable and skilled at maintaining control of the interpretative conversation while creatively encouraging willing visitor involvement.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to interpret, explain, educate and inspire visitors.
- Interest in, and knowledge, of local history.
- Ability to effectively prioritize workflow and multitask and demonstrate organizational ability. Ability to work well under pressure and deal with stressful situations with professionalism.
- Strong problem solving and communication skills including ability to make decisions independently.
- Ability to courteously and effectively deal with the public in providing information and assistance.
- Ability to perform cashiering duties accurately.
- Ability to work both independently and interdependently while exercising sound judgement and initiative.
- Knowledge and skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of clerical and modern office practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of and/or familiarity with the PerfectMind Registration System is preferred.
- Ability to use REDMS or a similar record management system is preferred.
- Ability to successfully pass a Criminal Record Check.
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset.
Qualifications and Experience:
Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent supplemented with a background in history, museum studies, education or tourism, theatre or equivalent combination of experience. Customer service, cashiering and experience using a Point of Sale (POS) or other computer cash system is required. Current Occupational First Aid Level 1 certification or higher is required.
Duties are performed in a heritage environment. Must be comfortable standing for long periods of time. May be outdoors, in all weather conditions. May encounter upset or unpleasant customers. Ability to work weekends and holidays is required.
Additional Information: Employee Group
CUPE Local 718
$19.70 per hour plus 12% in lieu of benefits