Position: Museum Assistant
The Port Coquitlam Heritage and Cultural Society is a volunteer driven non-profit organization that operates Port Coquitlam’s only Museum and Archives
dedicated to celebrating and preserving Port Coquitlam’s diverse heritage and culture.
We are seeking a Museum Assistant to join our team!
Working under the direction of the Museum Manager, the Museum Assistant will be responsible for:
- Assisting in the development of an online ‘Community Story’ exhibit for Digital Museums Canada
- Assisting with collections work as needed (accessioning, deaccessioning, digitization, etc.)
- Assisting in the management and creation of social media and website content
- Some graphic design work including creating posters, social media posts, and other promotional material for exhibits, events, and programming
- Helping facilitate events, programs, fundraisers, and outreach as needed
- Other related duties as assigned
- A relevant Post-secondary degree in Museum Studies, History, Education, Anthropology,
- Experience with common office software and social media platforms (Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to work independently and in a collaborative environment
- Excellent English oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to lift and carry boxes and supplies up to 20 lbs, and able to climb ladders and reach overhead
- Experience working in a museum environment
- Experience with WordPress
- Experience with PastPerfect Museum Software
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Canva, and InDesign
- Proficiency in a second language is an asset
This position is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program. To be eligible for this position you must be:
- between 18 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada
- able to provide a satisfactory police record check prior to hiring
This a full time contract position from August 31 – December 21, 2021. Hours are 32.5 per week, at the rate of $16 per hour plus 4% in lieu of vacation pay.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by 11:59PM Monday, August 9th, 2021 to:
Alex Code, Museum Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Job Application – Museum Assistant
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.