DIVISION: ARTS, CULTURE AND COMMUNITY INITIATIVES
Hours of Work: Non-standard Hours and/or Non-standard Work Week
Hourly Wage: $22.09 per hour (2020 rates) plus 13% in lieu of benefits
Placement Date: Approx. October 12, 2021 to approx. March 31, 2022
Applications are currently being accepted from a dynamic and committed individual to fill an auxiliary Career Placement for the position Museum Assistant – Curatorial – Exhibits with various work shifts between October 12, 2021 and March 31, 2022. The position will provide an equivalent of 8.6 weeks of work and must be completed no later than March 31, 2022.
Duties and Responsibilities:
As a student employee in the Arts Culture and Community Initiatives Division of the Township of Langley, the incumbent will work on short-term projects at the Langley Centennial Museum as well as assisting in planning for Salishan Place – a new museum scheduled to open in 2023. Curatorial projects are aimed at the care and effective use of our collection, and assisting with research and development for future exhibits to connect the Museum with people in our community and beyond.
The Museum Assistant – Curatorial will support the following project goals:
- Assist with research and development for future exhibits including for Salishan Place, an exciting new museum with a planned opening in 2023
- Assist with marketing current and upcoming exhibits
- Assist with replacing a permanent display, including monitoring visitor use of existing exhibits
- Assist with special events, including preparations, set-up, take-down, and staffing of an exhibit opening (subject to Public Health Orders)
- Process new accessions into the collection
- Photograph and digitize collection items
- Rehousing and packing items to prepare for move to new museum
- Conduct collections inventories
- Assist in supervising volunteers in curatorial tasks, including inventory and cleaning
- Assist with day-to-day museum operations including opening and closing, participating with other colleagues in occasionally staffing the reception desk for lunch coverage and Gift Shop retail sales, as help is occasionally required with this function
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills required for this position include:
- University student in their third or fourth year of study, with courses in history, anthropology, fine arts, museum or archival studies, or other related field
- Computer skills including knowledge and experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and collections database software are considered assets
- Excellent organizational, technical writing, research, and manual skills with a penchant for attention to details
- Excellent interpersonal skills, preferably with some experience in teamwork and the information and service industries
- Previous experience in a museum environment is considered an asset
- Must be physically fit – capable of lifting 35 lb. from floor to table height and 20 lb. from table to head height
- Access to personal transportation
This position is being offered pursuant to a federally funded employment program. Funding for the position is conditional on the applicant meeting the following criteria:
- Currently a Canadian student, legally entitled to study and work in Canada. You must be registered with the Young Canada Works inventory at www.youngcanadaworks.caand you must be between the ages of 16 and 30. You must be a full-time student in a current or proceeding semester to the YCW job, and intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW job. You must be willing to commit to a work assignment of up to 8.6 weeks.
The Township of Langley is committed to employment equity and is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations will be provided as appropriate in any position to the point of undue hardship.
This position is defined by the Township of Langley as a position of trust (Child Safety). The successful candidate will be required to have a police information check as a condition of employment (Note – Not required as part of the application process, however will be required upon consideration for employment).
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please apply directly through our site at tol.ca/careers.
This competition will close when the position is filled.
The Langley Centennial Museum & Exhibition Centre is a community museum located in
Fort Langley, British Columbia. More information is available at http://museum.tol.ca
9135 King Street, Fort Langley, BC
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.