Assistant Director | Archivist*
Level – Permanent, Full Time
Salary – $45,500 / year
Benefits – Extended health benefits including dental
Sidney Museum is a local museum presenting and preserving the history of the Saanich Peninsula operated by the Sidney Museum and Archives Society, a not-for-profit organization. The museum features a 1,100ft2 temporary gallery to display local arts, traveling exhibits, and collections, as well as a permanent gallery. There is also a very active group of volunteers assisting with collections management, educational programs, maintenance, and exhibits. Sidney Museum attracts thousands of visitors each year, and the archives department preserves records and provides information about the local area to the public. In addition, we hold the ever-popular unofficial LEGO Exhibition annually. The Museum operates with three full time staff members and two temporary seasonal staff.
This position reports to the Executive Director and will share in the operational duties of the Museum. One area of responsibility would be the coordination of reference service for the Archives department at the Sidney Museum. This permanent full time position is for 35 hours a week, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with ½ hour unpaid lunch break, five days a week. Typically this position covers one weekend day and four weekdays as their regular schedule. Given the small team, schedules may shift to accommodate staff holidays and events. The position is ideal for a well-organized person who demonstrates initiative and enjoys meeting and working with people.
Examples of Work:
This position reports directly to the Executive Director. These duties would be considered essential functions of the job description. This list is not all-inclusive nor does it cover the full extent of the duties performed.
- Receives and coordinates the answering of reference queries submitted to the Archives.
- Participates in the strategic planning for assigned areas and assists the Director in developing and implementing the overall Archives department strategic plan.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of the museum in the Executive Director’s absence (days off, vacation, etc.) including opening and closing.
- Assist with collections management – accessioning, data entry, digitization and research projects.
- Establishes performance goals and measures to evaluate success of assigned areas of responsibility.
- Supervises the tasks of the select few assigned interns, temporary staff and/or volunteers; provides guidance and direction to the same when they are on duty.
- Ensure a positive, and welcoming experience for visitors alongside the Museum staff; and maintain a strong and positive team relationship;
- Assists in the planning, acquisition, storage, and exhibition of collections and related materials including the selection of exhibition themes and designs, and development or installation of exhibit materials.
- Lead archival research, cataloging and filing.
- Attends Board Meeting when required and/or relevant committee meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Education and Experience:
An undergraduate degree, preferably in history, public history, archaeology, anthropology, or a related field. Previous employment in a museum or archives an asset.
*In order to hold the title of “Archivist”, a Master’s degree in Archival Studies or a degree with an Archival Studies specialization from a recognized university program would be required.
- Strong abilities in time management, organization, and problem solving.
- Proven experience working effectively both independently and as a part of a team.
- Ability to undertake detailed tasks and follow directions.
- Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint or Google Suite.
- Ability to prioritize and perform a variety of tasks.
Licensure and Certification:
- Criminal Record Check – Vulnerable Populations
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or equivalent.
Provides supervision and direction to assigned interns, staff and volunteers.
* Title determined based on qualifications and experience.
Submit resume with cover letter to [email protected]
Applications will be reviewed starting May 1, 2022