Who are we?
The Port Coquitlam Heritage and Cultural Society is a volunteer driven non-profit organization that operates Port Coquitlam’s only Museum and Archives dedicated to celebrating and preserving Port Coquitlam’s diverse heritage and culture.
Position title: Museum Assistant
Working under the direction of the Museum Manager, the Museum Assistant will be responsible for:
- Assisting in a major collections project, processing, labeling, and rehousing a collection of framed works
- Assisting with other collections work as needed (accessioning, deaccessioning, digitization, etc.)
- Assisting in the management and creation of social media and website content
- Helping facilitate events, programs, fundraisers, exhibits, research, and outreach as needed
- Other related duties as assigned
- Either a relevant post-secondary degree in Museum Studies, History, Anthropology, etc. or enrollment in such a program
- Experience with common office software and social media platforms (Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to work independently and in a collaborative environment
- Excellent English oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to lift and carry heavy boxes, objects, and supplies up to 30 lbs, to climb ladders, stairs, and to reach overhead
Desirable skills and experience:
- Experience working in a museum environment and with museum collections in particular
- Experience with PastPerfect museum software
- Experience with WordPress
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Canva, and/or InDesign
- Class 5 Drivers’ Licence
To be eligible for this position you must be:
- between 18 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada
- able to provide a satisfactory police record check prior to hiring
- fully vaccinated and able to provide proof of vaccination status
This is a full time contract position running from July 19th – August 27th, 2022. Hours are 32.5 per week, at a rate of $18 per hour plus 4% in lieu of vacation paid out biweekly.
At PoCo Heritage our mission is to preserve and celebrate the diverse heritage of our community. We recognize the importance of inclusive teams in achieving this goal. Applications from self-identified members of underserved communities as well as those from visible and invisible minority communities are encouraged.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by June 21 11:59pm to:
Alex Code, Museum Manager – [email protected]
Subject line: Job Application – Museum Assistant
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.