This place is a commercial building on Slocan Avenue in Nakusp. It is one of only two remnants of French-speaking settlers in the town. The site is valued for its association with Eugene Lévêque, who was a community-minded, colourful character known for his theatrical, athletic and artistic abilities. Lévêque arrived in Nakusp in 1911 from St. Boniface, Manitoba. He was part of a small community of Francophones in this region, many of whom arrived in these areas to work in logging and mining.
A collection of artifacts related to Eugene Lévêque is retained at the local museum, while the actual barbershop has been restored.