Built in 1914 and once funded by local logging companies, this historic place re-opened as Our Lady of Lourdes in 1926 under the management of the Sisters of St. Ann. An additional wing was built in 1929, bringing the total bed count up to 44. The hospital continued operation until 1957, after which the Sisters withdrew, and the building then became the site of the Campbell River City Hall.
Although the current building retains few elements of the original building, it continues to tell the story of the Francophone influence on the development of Campbell River. This place is valued for its strong association with the Sisters of St. Ann.
The Sisters of St. Ann arrived in Victoria from Quebec in 1858, to establish education and health service for new settlers and Indigenous people. While many of their contributions are celebrated, in 2014 the Sisters acknowledged that their involvement in Canada’s Indian Residential Schools contributed to a form of cultural oppression that has had a lasting effect not only on those who attended the schools but also on subsequent generations.